Effective September 1, 2015, Zeilenwert GmbH, the e‑book full service company based in Rudolstadt, Thuringia, will acquire Libreka GmbH, which was previously spun-off from MVB Marketing- und Verlagsservice des Buchhandels GmbH. A purchase agreement was signed on July 31, 2015; the purchase price was not disclosed.
Zeilenwert will keep the Libreka brand, technology and all of its employees and will operate it as a separate business unit, thereby adding a new location in Frankfurt am Main.
Libreka customers will benefit not only from the seamless continuation of their existing e‑book services, but also from the additional offerings from Zeilenwert, such as the digital shipment of critical review copies or sales of digital audio Content.
“Over the past three months, we have extensively discussed with the Zeilenwert team how we can best develop e‑book distribution for our customers in the long term. Together, we have come to the conclusion that a complete sale of Libreka is the best option, as the colleagues at Zeilenwert can concentrate all of their innovation and investment energy into the field of e‑books,” said MVB CEO Ronald Schild. He added, “In the negotiations, it was especially important to us that our dedicated employees find a new professional home.”
“Through this very inclusive process with MVB, we can lay a solid foundation for the growth of our company in the field of e‑book distribution,” explained Thorsten Schreiber, who leads Zeilenwert together with Sebastian Lübcke.
Development of Libreka
- The German Book Trade Association (Börsenverein) commissions MVB to undertake the project “Full-text Search Online (VTO)”
- Product launch under the new brand Libreka at the Frankfurt Book Fair
- Libreka introduces the preview feature “Link-up”
- Leipzig Book Fair introduces e‑books for purchase through Libreka
- «e‑book Data» is offered for integration into web-shops
- By September, over a half-million e‑books are available for purchase through Libreka
- By March, more than one million e‑books are available for purchase through Libreka
- In December, the Librekas online stores for printed books and e‑books are bundled under the brand name buchhandel.de
- At the beginning of 2015, the “Libreka-Euro” fee is discontinued
Libreka in Numbers
- More than 1,000,000 e‑books
- 1,600 participating publishers, of which nearly 1,200 use Libreka’s e‑commerce functionalities
- More than 50 million pages searchable on the Internet with Libreka’s “Full-text Search Online” Feature
- Integration of the “Link-up” preview feature in three of the five largest web-shops and more than 1,000 Internet sitesLibreka is integrated into numerous library catalogues
Zeilenwert GmbH offers a comprehensive portfolio of e‑book services: conversion to all popular formats, digital delivery and distribution in over 100 online stores, retro-digitization of backlist titles, production of Enhanced Media e‑books, provision of white label online shops, etc. In the growing e‑book market, more than 250 small and medium-sized publishers are currently on Zeilenwert’s customer list. The company employs 22 people. www.zeilenwert.de
MVB Marketing- und Verlagsservice des Buchhandels GmbH is the leading service company in the German book industry. As a subsidiary of the Association of German Publishers and Booksellers e. V., it offers a wide range of different products and services for publishers and booksellers, providing support and guidance for the marketing of books and orientation in the book market. www.mvb-online.de