bm|t manages several funds that invest in both young and established high-growth companies in the State of Thuringia. The equity capital financing provided by bm|t is primarily designed to finance the development and commercialization of innovative products.
Forms of Investment
|€100.000 – €10.000.000||
Exit after 3–7 years
Industry standard valuations
|€100.000 – €5.000.000||
Up to 10 years
Market standard interest rate
Established companies with stable cash-flows
The company headquarters or at least substantial activities must be based in the State of Thuringia.
bm|t generally invests in all high growth and high margin markets, especially in life sciences, optics, micro-electronics, and IT-Media-Internet, as well as in the German Mittelstand.
We do not invest in real estate, construction, small trade or agriculture businesses.
Incorporated German company (GmbH, AG)
Visionary team with complementary competencies and superior industry know-how.
- High growth potential as a prerequisite for a subsequent sale of stake
- Willingness of the founders to sell their shares or to accept new shareholders
- Technological advantage
- Innovative product
- Unique selling proposition and clear customer value
- Strong IP-position (patent)
- Short time to market and low development risk
- Large market with strong growth potential and calculable regulatory barriers
- Existing first mover advantage and potential for market leadership position
Generally, the entire investment process, from the first contact with bm|t to signing the investment contract, takes approximately 3–6 months.
In order to assess whether a venture fits our investment criteria and investment focus, we need an investment summary or detailed business plan accompanying an investment inquiry.
A detailed business plan handbook was published by ›Gründerpreis Thüringen‹ (in German only): see Businessplan-Handbuch.
- If the venture passes our first assessment, we will invite the management team to present their business model and strategy to bm|t. In the subsequent discussions, the general conditions of a potential financing round and bm|t investment are reviewed with the entrepreneurs.
- If the investment team decides a potential investment is worth pursuing further, we will provide a Term Sheet or Letter of Intent that outlines the terms of a potential bm|t investment.
- Once the Term Sheet is signed, the due diligence process begins. During this process we try to gain a deeper understanding of the company and research the legal, commercial, and technical aspects of the company.
- If the due diligence process has a positive outcome, we will then prepare and negotiate an Investment Agreement.
- Before signing the Investment Agreement, bm|t’s investment committee, which includes external experts, will make a final decision concerning the investment.
- After signing the investment agreement, the investment will be paid out according to negotiated milestones.
Funds Managed by bm|t
Other financing partners in Thuringia
Specifically for silent partnerships up to €1.0 million
Co-Investor: High-Tech Gründerfonds
For Business Angel Investments:
Stiftung für Technologie, Innovation und Forschung Thüringen (STIFT)
For loan programs of the Free State of Thuringia